Monday, December 28, 2015

Feliz Navidad






FELIZ NAVIDAD 
Can we talk about how this was the best Christmas EVER?!
This week was full of Christmas onesies and caroling, gifting fish to elders, reciting the first Christmas by heart, talking to the Cragun crew and best of all, spending the holidays remembering the Savior's birth. 

My favorite part of the week was probably Christmas Eve. We had received different offers on where to spend Christmas Eve at, but in the end we decided to stay at the house of Sonia, our recent convert. As we showed up to her house, her table usually folded up, was out, decorated with a thin table cloth and different little light up snowman. Her hair usually up was down and brushed. Her three year old son came out in a little Santa outfit excited to see us. As we sat down to eat, she served us various meats and corns and fake champagnes. For dessert we had sweet potatoes. I remember looking at the tree, where three small presents lie and looking at the table of smiling faces and my thoughts lightened up. 
The food was good, but very simple, the decorations very simple, we played cards and a game of spoons for fun. I was surrounded by people I had only met over the course of the past month. Nothing about this night should have been that memorable  and yet I realized this was my sweetest Christmas Ever. My most memorable evening. This was the true meaning of Christmas. Hermana Sonia was not the richest, she didn't have anything to give us, she did not have a spacious dining room or fancy China to serve us with, there was no Christmas ham or soft rolls to divulge. And yet she had given me more than I could have ever wanted. Filled me with a happiness and a night to remember I couldn't have gotten at any fancy party or bought at any store. 

...the sweetest joy I have come to find is  felt, seeing one of Heavenly Fathers children just get it. Teaching Jordan in the park the plan of salvation, as we drew the steps in the sand and he paused to say I understand. Watching Mollie choke up and realize she needs to change. To see her at church and be touched by the spirit and welcomed by the members and see her truly happy, her tears changed to a beaming smile. To hear Erick bear his testimony to hear the words "I know the church is true. I know Joseph smith was a real prophet". Nothing is sweeter or more fulfilling than that. 

The power of Christs atonement is something we all need, something that truly fills us and changes us. I love being a missionary. I don't think I could say that enough. I've realized that by following the savior, and by choosing to make the best of your situation, you will always be happy. 
Xoxox hermana cragun 

"The future is as bright as your faith" 

No comments:

Post a Comment